Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laver Cup 2019, Geneva - Sep 20-22, 2019

+14
Lil_Jay
UES
Sherl
Cheadlebeagle
ph∞be
Felicity
Rufus1
federerworshipper
Márcia
norinchi
HeartoftheMatter
Steerpike60
Marly 103-20
Cromar
18 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Normal Re: Laver Cup 2019, Geneva - Sep 20-22, 2019

Post by Márcia Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:53 pm

I have a question: what happened to Roberto Bautista-Agut? He did not interact when he was at the bench, day 2 and this morning. And later he was not at the ceremony. Someone have an idea of what was the problem? Was he angry by not being chosen to play? But he was the alternate, the same as the Chilean player at Team World.

Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Thandi Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:01 pm

Congratulations to Roger and Team Europe! Very Happy  So happy for him.  I watched on tenterhooks today, it was nail-biting stuff and my stomach was churning at times. I was shouting like a madwoman at the TV during both Roger's and Zverev's matches. Laughing Roger did what he had to do, like the Champion he is. Very Happy I must confess that I didn't have much belief that Zverev would win the deciding match.  His form has not been great this year.  But I'm glad he got the job done. Smile

Thandi

Back to top Go down

Post by Thandi Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:07 pm

Márcia wrote:I have a question: what happened to Roberto Bautista-Agut? He did not interact when he was at the bench, day 2 and this morning. And later he was not at the ceremony. Someone have an idea of what was the problem? Was he angry by not being chosen to play? But he was the alternate, the same as the Chilean player at Team World.
I wondered the same.  He wasn't around for the latter stages today.  I wondered whether both he and Jordan Thompson, the Team World alternate (Australian, I believe?), had been given permission to leave, but why they would leave as the tournament was building up to its exciting conclusion?  And anyway, Thompson was still there.  Maybe Bautista Agut did feel a bit left out.  Or maybe he's playing in a tournament tomorrow, who knows.

Thandi

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:04 am

I did see him. I think he reached out from behind the bench to touch the back of one of the younger players who had just lost in a match.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:48 am

Where is everyone else? I would have thought there would be a lot more posts, as it was so exciting and with such a marvellous outcome. Maybe on other language threads....

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheadlebeagle Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:20 am

I really enjoyed it; it's such a great format especially with the scoring which keeps interest. I too felt sorry for the 2 guys who didn't get to play. Maybe everyone should play at least one match rather than some guys playing several times but I guess they have to go with strength. I must say I really liked the way Rafa was supporting everyone and giving coaching advice. Sometimes it seemed he couldn't bear to watch Laughing I do quite like him off court but not his playing style. I think there is genuine affection between him and Roger. So Boston next year. I hope Roger will still be playing as I would like to try and go.

Cheadlebeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by norinchi Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:27 pm

norinchi
norinchi

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:25 pm

I was busy all weekend so didn't get a chance to log in, but I had the Laver Cup on all weekend.  Once again it turned out to be 'must see TV'.  Great tennis, great drama, and some laughs.  

I'm obviously happy for Roger that Team Europe won as he obviously wanted to win in Switzerland.  Even though most folks thought this would be an easy win on paper by Team Europe, I was expecting it to be closer than that, and it definitely was.  Team World could have easily won this.  And honestly, for the sake of the event, a very close outcome or a win by TW would be good.  After all, what is the saying about "you can't call it a rivalry if the same person/team always wins"?  So, I was happy for TW that they came so close.

One of the best things about the LC is the team members being right on court and cheering - and helping to coach.  Roger and Rafa were especially engaging and entertaining.  Listening to them "coach" is fascinating.  And I laughed so hard when they showed Roger and Rafa trying to explain the hand signals in doubles to Tsitsipas.  I literally fell off my chair when Rafa said "any finger, you cross"!!  LOL!!  It was too bad that Rafa and Kyrgios couldn't play on Sunday, but it was still dramatic.  I mean, who would have thought Fritz would beat Thiem?  So it was very intense with Roger and Sasha having to win.

I must say, I'll never cheer for Rafa in regular events, but I've definitely softened towards him off court.  It's so obvious that he and Roger really like each other.  

Anyway, next year, the LC will be in Boston.  I guess Tony Godsick said that they wanted the venue to be close to NY since there will only be a week between the end of the USO and LC because the USO is moved back a week due to the Olympics.  I hadn't realized that.  So, I guess Labor Day weekend will now be opening weekend for the USO?

Anyway, it was an awesome weekend of tennis.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by federerworshipper Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:06 pm

Steerpike My thoughts match yours, I was feeling sorry for Team World, especially Shapo and Sock, but when I saw Roger's reactions and how much he wants to win on his home soil I suppressed that feeling. When it was so close and came down to one match to decide it I was more nervous than Roger. Happy that Taylor had one good win and Shapo played impressively well in singles and doubles.  

Also you are right it was so obvious how sincere Nadal was and how he was into the competition, heart and soul. Thank you for translating Nadal's coaching re. doubles signals because I didn't understand a word he said Laughing Pacman . Laver Cup events are like no other just like their founder and creator our loveable Roger. I am so happy for Roger that the Laver Cup took off like the rocket it's named after, he must be so proud at this great success. All those wonderful young players were treated to a week of tennis nirvana among the legends and the stars headed by the superstar himself Roger Federer. It was heartwarming to watch. Tsitsi had all the luck, played doubles with both Roger and Nadal.

Dear Dinora: Thank you for bringing that video clip here, it is so good.
federerworshipper
federerworshipper

Back to top Go down

Post by Marly 103-20 Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:35 pm

Laver Cup 2019, Geneva - Sep 20-22, 2019 - Page 8 Laver_58
Laver Cup 2019, Geneva - Sep 20-22, 2019 - Page 8 Laver_57
Laver Cup 2019, Geneva - Sep 20-22, 2019 - Page 8 Laver_59
Marly 103-20
Marly 103-20

http://federer080881.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:45 pm

federerworshipper wrote:Thank you for translating Nadal's coaching re. doubles signals because I didn't understand a word he said Laughing Pacman

When Rafa and Tsitsipas came to the bench, Rafa said something to Roger about not understanding the hand signals of Tsitsipas.  Roger then told Nadal to say something to him.  Nadal finally told Tsitsipas (through giggling) that he did not understand what Tsitsipas was signaling to him.  Both Roger and Rafa could barely talk through their laughs.  Roger seemed to think that Tsitsipas was signaling different things using a few fingers and what did he mean.  Tsitsipas starts to explain about a closed fist and Rafa kind of interrupts him to make it simple.  He says that a 'fist' means to stay in your position.  And then Rafa added that with "any finger, you cross".  You can see Roger burst out laughing at that.

It was just too funny.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Hefty Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:37 am

I caught the end of Roger's match against Isner and it was great to see him close it out the way he did. Wonderful to see such excitement from him!

As a Canadian, I was a little sorry to see Milos lose but obviously glad that Roger's team won.

All in all, a great fun event that will hopefully continue for years to come. The players obviously enjoy it a great deal.

Hefty

Back to top Go down

Post by federerworshipper Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:10 am

Thanks again Steerpike. That's so funny.
federerworshipper
federerworshipper

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:19 am

The thing about winning and losing, the winners are always greatly buoyed and celebrate with abandon, and many people feel some sympathy or even feel a little sorry for the losers. In this case, I know that had Team World won they would have celebrated more racously. (I heard quite a bit of trash talk from American athletes at or before or during Olympic events, and I don't care for that at all,)
When it comes down to it, I felt a little bit of sympathy for the other team, but they are the weaker team, actually. Still they could have won, and even this way things happen that one does not expect, such as Thiem losing to Taylor. But the format could go for or against a player. Some can't handle it as well unless they got solidly on top, and the top and experienced players are usually better at handling it.
One of the female commentators mentioned some other tennis person at the Hopman Cup, and this other individual remarked that with the top, the great players, one can count on a "hot streak" even if they don't have their best form, and that is how they can win by turning things around. It is true, in a match, a game, even in a service game.
Kyrgios was not even supposed to join: John Mc had said that he couldn't understand that, but apparently he decided, after all. He really seems to get a lot out of team competition.
All those tall men and their big serves are not a guarantee, but they have less of a choice, maybe, than Team Europe at this point.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:22 am

Did you see the so-called Iceman Bjorn Borg hug Roger at the end of two matches, at least, as far as I saw?
This experience is also very good for the players coming up. A lot they can observe and allow things to seep into them regarding attitude and so on.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by fedled Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:56 pm

This link gives a further link to a YouTube channel where ALL the 12 2019 Laver Cup matches have been uploaded/

https://federer.forumotion.com/t93p15-full-match-videos-and-highlights#63047
fedled
fedled

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum