Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 General Tennis News

+27
ph∞be
Lucycanada
TuTi_fanofRFed
Sherl
Federite
Kop8zky
MaxUS
Lil_Jay
cappucc19o
Loujoan123
anutam
cornnn92
striker
oldfan
LaRubia
Katarina_YYZ
UES
RogerNo.1
Rufus1
tvradke
michelle88
fedled
wcr
Márcia
avasbar
Cromar
Steerpike60
31 posters

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Go down

Normal Re: 2017 General Tennis News

Post by Cromar Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:54 pm

Thanks ph∞be for the info.

I just read this article from Paul Newman (Independent), who was on the phone with Murray this morning, providing more details about Andy's operation by Dr John O’Donnell and his recovery and future plans: Andy Murray targets Wimbledon return after undergoing successful hip surgery in Melbourne.

Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:55 pm

Thanks for the article.  Much more in depth.  I wish Murray only the best.  I hope he comes back and competes at the highest level again.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:13 am

Interesting that Murray had the operation in Australia and not the UK.  One could imagine that MDs serving a wider population (UK is about 3x that of Australia) would have more experience dealing with a wider variety of health matters.  Maybe Murray likes the idea of recuperating in better weather ... or there are better hip surgeons Down Under.  I've heard that if they can get the patient to walk the same day as the operation, the better for healing and staving off arthritis.  OUCH!
wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:25 pm

Supposedly the doctor that performed the surgery is one Murray has been consulting for a while now.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by UES Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:32 pm

it might also have been too painful for him to fly back to the UK.

Get well soon Andy!

UES

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:48 am

This excerpt from the Telegraph.UK on why Andy had his operation in Melbourne:

"Instead of returning to England last Thursday, as his Instagram post suggested at the time, Murray opted to fly to Melbourne and stay there incognito. He had decided to engage the services of Dr John O’Donnell, a man he describes as “one of the most experienced hip surgeons in the world”.

It now emerges that Murray has been in touch with Dr O’Donnell since 2008, when his right hip first started to bother him. The two men have met six or seven times in Melbourne since, usually in the wake of the Australian Open. “I’ve known him since I was 20, 21 years old,” Murray said, “and I decided he was the right person to do it.”

Although troublesome, the hip did not become a major concern until early June, when Murray found himself unable to walk without pain after a lengthy French Open semi-final against Stan Wawrinka."

Source: Andy Murray undergoes hip surgery in Australia but remains hopeful of return in time for Wimbledon  
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:32 pm

Juan Martin del Potro a changed man since last in Auckland

DAVID LONG
Last updated 23:25, January 8 2018
2017 General Tennis News - Page 16 1515407113504

It will be a different Juan Martin del Potro that takes to Centre Court on Wednesday to the one that defeated Sam Querrey in the final in Auckland nine years ago.

The Argentinian only dropped one set when he triumphed in New Zealand in 2009 and while he'll once again be the player most people will come to watch, everything has changed about him.

Losing two years of his career with two separate wrist injuries has altered the way he feels about tennis and also how he plays.

"My game now, I'm playing the slices, I'm playing a different game to a few years ago," Del Potro said on Monday.

"Also, I have treatment for two to three hours a day every time. That's what I have to do if I want to keep playing tennis.

"But I'm happy with that and I'm dealing with all these treatments. I still want to improve.

"I have a new career after all my problems," he added.

"I'm enjoying my tennis even more than years ago, but I still have goals to reach and I'm working for that."

The 29-year-old Del Potro has the burning desire to win another grand slam, but he also wants to savour being a tennis player.

He played just six tournaments over 2014 and 2015 and even recently has had problems with his wrist and hips.

But he says he's in good shape and considering all the top players who will miss the Australian Open, or come into it under an injury cloud, Del Potro has to be considered as one of the contenders for the title.

"I'm working for that," he said.

"I was close last year in the US Open, beating Roger [Federer] and then Rafa [Nadal] had a great tournament.

"But you never know… if my body feels strong enough to play with these guys, I will have a chance to compete at that level.

"The most exciting part of my life is trying to win another big event."

Coming back after almost two years out of the game required Del Potro to dig deep, to have the motivation to keep getting up after every setback.

"I did all the effort because I love tennis and I wanted to keep playing this sport," he said.

"My parents taught me when I was young to make sacrifices to get what I want and I'm doing that with my sport.

"But in my real life, I'm the same person and I know one day the tennis life ends and you start another life."

Del Potro comes into the Classic ranked 11th in the world and a good week in Auckland will put him back into the top 10 for the first time since August 2014. In February 2016, he was ranked 1045.

So this week could mark another significant achievement in his comeback.

"I can't believe my ranking now," he said.

"But I'm not playing for a number, I don't care if I'm top 10 or top 30.

"I would like to play this tournament and enjoy the atmosphere with the fans.

"When it comes to Melbourne, just to be there will be great for me and I know the people admire what I did to come back and play tennis again.

"I'm showing all my effort to be here and I think that's good for them and good for me too."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/tennis/100410570/juan-martin-del-potro-a-changed-man-since-last-in-auckland
wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum