Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2021

+13
Ramm
Steerpike60
UES
Rosaline
Jmrf
federerworshipper
Márcia
striker
Marly 103-20
wcr
HeartoftheMatter
Sherl
Cromar
17 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Normal RF Tennis News 2021

Post by Cromar Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:42 pm

Roger expected to return to action in March

According to Richard Krajicek, Roger is expected to make his much-anticipated return at the Qatar ExxonMobil Open in Doha on March 8-13, 2021. Doha would be a good fit for Roger as it is only a couple of hundred miles from Dubai, where he is currently training.

Krajicek, who is the Rotterdam tournament director (and a pretty good friend of Roger), indicated that if Roger is fit and ready to play, he could also play in Rotterdam the week before Doha.

“ I think I know he will play in Doha, the week after Rotterdam. But if he’s fit and ready to play, we’ll hear from him.”
Richard Krajicek

RF Tennis News 2021 107936237

Roger Federer poses with the son of the Emir of Quatar after winning the 2011 ATP Qatar Open (AFP/Getty Images)

Roger won the Doha title, for the third time, in 2011, when he got his revenge against Davydenko, having lost to him the year before in the semi-final. Roger last played in Quatar in 2012, when he had to withdraw from the semi-final due to back spasm, giving Tsonga a walk-over to an all-French final against Monfils. Jo won the trophy!

It's not too surprising that the news about Roger's return has been widely reported in the media these last few days - everybody is (im)patiently waiting for Roger! Smile Below are a couple of these selected articles.

Forbes

Roger Federer Expected To Return At Doha In March: Report

RF Tennis News 2021 Https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F6008a53db007be770bdfc2b2%2F960x0

Switzerland's Roger Federer plays a return to Spain's Rafael Nadal during their tennis match at 'The Match in Africa' in Cape Town on February 7, 2020. (Photo by RODGER BOSCH/AFP via Getty Images)

Adam Zagoria, Contributor - Forbes
Jan 20, 2021

Roger Federer is expected to make his much-anticipated return at the Qatar ExxonMobil Open in Doha which runs March 8-13, according to Richard Krajicek.

"As far as I know, Roger will play in Doha, the week after Rotterdam. But if he is fit and ready to play, we will hear from him," said Krajicek, a former top player who is now the tournament director in Rotterdam, which runs March 1-7.

Federer, 39, trains in Dubai, which is only 235 miles from Doha, which is played on outdoor hardcourts.

Krajicek announced world No. 2 Rafael Nadal as the top star in Rotterdam, but would like to add Federer to the field as well. Federer is a three-time Rotterdam champion, winning the first title in 2005 and capturing it most recently in 2018.

Federer, whose 20 career Grand Slams are now tied with Nadal for tops among men, announced last month he was withdrawing from the rescheduled Australian Open due to two surgeries on his right knee in 2020.

I will start discussions this coming week for tournaments that begin in late February and then start to build a schedule for the rest of the year,” his agent Tony Godsick and CEO of their management company, TEAM8, told The Associated Press via email.

Federer hasn’t played an ATP event since losing to Novak Djokovic in the semifinals of last year’s Australian Open. He last played when he beat Nadal in a charity match in South Africa in February.

He then underwent arthroscopic right knee surgery in February and had a follow-up procedure in June. At that point, he announced he wouldn’t play against until 2021.

LWOS

What a Roger Federer Comeback in Doha Could Mean

RF Tennis News 2021 Federer-1

Roger Federer in action at the 2020 Australian Open. Photo: Getty Images

By: Alex Nulliah | LWOS lastwordonsports.com
January 25, 2021

There have been reports this week that Roger Federer will make his return to action in Doha, with Richard Krajicek, tournament director at the Rotterdam Open, suggesting that Federer could play at the ATP 250 Qatar Open, which runs from 8th to 13th March.

Krajicek stated – ‘I think I know he will play in Doha, the week after Rotterdam. But if he’s fit and ready to play, we’ll hear from him’. The Swiss has not played a tour-level match since the Australian Open after undergoing knee surgery, but a potential Doha return could well be a good move for the Swiss.

Advantageous conditions

Historically, the courts at the Qatar Open have been amongst the fastest on the ATP Tour and Federer’s attacking game is well-suited to these conditions. A quick court surface enables him to go for winners from the baseline early in rallies, and by keeping the points short, Federer can preserve his physical fitness and deny opponents rhythm. This should allow him to play at a high level throughout the tournament and following events.

Unsurprisingly, Federer’s success on faster courts has been extensive. Quicker conditions also help him to play with more tactical variation, particularly by catching players off-guard by coming forward and finishing points at the net. The faster court speeds reduce the time for opponents to react to his volley, making it harder for them to attempt a passing shot and neutralise Federer’s aggressive move forward.

A faster court also aids his serve, increasingly the bedrock of his game, with the speed of the court combined with Federer’s remarkable placement often guaranteeing plenty of aces and some very short service games from the Swiss star.

Professional tennis players have to contend with varied and often intense weather conditions across the world. But Federer should feel at home in the Doha heat as he maintains a training base in Dubai. Indeed, Federer was seen training there last month and has been practising in Dubai for over a decade. With Doha and Dubai separated by less than 240 miles across the Persian Gulf, playing in Doha should give Federer the chance to settle back into the tour among familiar conditions he can cope well with.

Match-experience for further titles

Playing in Doha could be the perfect choice to set Federer up for the remainder of the season. Training is of course useful, but players require match experience  to give them the best chance at having deep runs in tournaments. For one thing, without matches, players aren’t exposed to the mental pressures of competition. Retaining a level of competitiveness, or fighting off nerves, becomes a harder task when prize money, ranking points and titles aren’t up for grabs.

But by playing a relatively small tournament, Federer will give himself the chance to ease back into the competitive mindset, which should, in the long run, give him the best chance to win key titles down the line. There are plenty of important tournaments just around the corner, including his favoured Dubai Tennis Championships, an ATP 500 tournament, and the Miami Open, set to be the first Masters 1000 event of the year. Both are scheduled to be played in the same month as Doha.

Federer’s potential Doha entry seems to be good news for his game and for tennis. Making a comeback in heat that he’s trained for and on a court that suits his aggressive style should give Federer a welcome boost. And getting matches under his belt should also increase his chances of winning significant titles down the line, making the remainder of the 2021 season a very exciting prospect.
Cromar
Cromar

Sherl and slaie_thuin like this post

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2021

Post by Sherl Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:00 am

Crossing fingers and everything else too!!  Clapping Hands Clapping Hands
Sherl
Sherl

striker, witchie49, HeartoftheMatter and slaie_thuin like this post

Back to top Go down

Normal Addendum/More

Post by HeartoftheMatter Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:25 pm

Oh, yes! How good to look forward to Doha, Roger at last. Come on now, Roger, stay with it. Don't consider anything except playing. Let the playing get you into that track!
 The photograph of Roger above the article is stunning. Roger has skimmed along, and is at the point of striking. His body position indicates that his weight is shifted and bearing downward after a near-airborne movement, and that is not an easy position I imagine. It requires power and balance....and then to hit the ball.Consummate skill and inspiration all in one.
Cheering

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Normal DOHA RETURN

Post by Cromar Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:42 pm

Federer confirms Doha return, then targets clay, Wimbledon and Olympics

Roger Federer is set to make his long-awaited comeback from injury in Doha on March 8. The 20-time Grand Slam champion has been out of action for over a year, but has confirmed he will also play on clay before looking to Wimbledon and the Olympics. Is this Federer's farewell tour? And can he win again before he retires?

RF Tennis News 2021 2965461-60865148-2560-1440
Roger Federer - Image credit: Getty Images

By James Walker-Roberts - Eurosport  
February 2, 2021

Roger Federer has confirmed he will make his return next month in Doha and will then play on clay before his main goals of Halle, Wimbledon, the Olympics and the US Open.

The 20-time Grand Slam champion has been out of action for a year after undergoing two knee operations.

He is not playing at the Australian Open - which begins on February 8 - for the first time in 23 years and says the decision “hurt”, but he needed more time.

"I thought long and hard about when and where to come back,” he told SRF. “Australia was still a bit too early because of my knee. That hurts; it's one of the places where I like to play the most.”

Instead of Melbourne, Federer will make his comeback at the ATP 250 in Doha starting on March 8.

"I wanted to make my comeback at a smaller tournament, so as not to be fully in the spotlight, and where the stress is also a little less,” said Federer, who has won the tournament three times.

"I'm not at 100 per cent, but close to there, that‘s why I‘m confident to come back. I feel strong, better than in November and December, when there were a lot more insecurities. I do my sprints, play the sets, I haven’t had any setbacks over the last six months and that‘s very positive."

Clay return

After Doha there is a chance Federer will stay in the Middle East to play in the ATP 500 in Dubai, which begins on March 15. Then there’s the first ATP Masters event of the season in Miami on March 24.

He said: "Depending on how things go in Doha, I'll play another tournament. Otherwise I'll go back to an additional training block with tennis and fitness, and then I'll try to play on clay again.

The whole thing, of course, with focus on Halle, Wimbledon, the Olympics and the US Open. Roger Federer

The decision to return to clay is somewhat surprising given Federer has only played on the surface for one of the last four years. Matches on clay also tend to be more physical and longer, not necessarily what 39-year-old Federer is looking for at this stage of his career.

RF Tennis News 2021 2602427-53947250-2560-1440
Will this be Roger Federer's final year at the French Open? - Image credit: Getty Images

And it’s clear from his comments that this comeback is going to be led by his body.

He says he does not want to “pathologically stay on the tour” to the detriment of his health and future activities with his wife Mirka and their four children.

"I won't play tournaments just because. If the body doesn’t work, I'll stop," he said.

"I want to be able to go skiing with the children and with Mirka. Or go hiking, play basketball or start ice hockey - I still have so many dreams. For that I need a good body and I don’t want to hit it against the wall."

Is this a farewell tour?

Halle. Wimbledon. The Olympics. The US Open.

At 39 – 40 by the time the US Open rolls around – will this be the last time that Federer plays four of his favourite tournaments?

If so, he will be carefully managing his schedule to ensure he is in the best possible condition for each of them.

Halle is set to take place on June 14, with Wimbledon on June 28, the Olympics in Tokyo on July 27 and then the US Open on August 30.

After going through a year of rehab, Federer will be eager to play at all four events, but it will be fascinating to see how fit he is by the summer and whether he can compete with the best on tour.

"I like to play tennis for life. In the last few months I have given a lot in rehab, in the conditioning area. I had to go to the bottom in the last few months, but I always enjoyed it and had a great team around me. Now is the time to try again.

"I want to celebrate great victories again. And for that I am ready to go the long, hard road."

He also admitted he followed the sport more than he thought he would while away from the court.

"I actually thought that I would not follow the sport very much and would be more busy with my children and my rehab. I was surprised that I kept checking results and watching matches. And normally I don't do that at all if I don't take part in a tournament."

Analysis – Enjoy this year of Federer

This may not be Roger Federer’s final year on tour – but it seems to be heading that way.

His talk of all the focus being on Halle, Wimbledon, the Olympics, and the US Open, plus a potential farewell to Roland Garros, suggests 2021 might be it for the 20-time Grand Slam champion.

If it is goodbye then hopefully he goes out on a high.

He appears to have given himself a good chance of that after taking plenty of time off and not rushing his comeback at the Australian Open. However, only time will tell how his body will react, and despite his claim that he is returning in Doha where he won’t be “fully in the spotlight”, all eyes will be on him to see how he performs.

In an unpredictable year there’s a chance Federer could do something special, but he needs his body to comply.

Another read from the same author: After a year out, how can Federer win again?

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherl Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:09 pm

Clay!!!  Go Fight Happy France
Sherl
Sherl

Cromar and slaie_thuin like this post

Back to top Go down

Normal The Comeback

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:26 am

Roger can win with aplomb, after his amazing pacing and attacking forays and those killer serves. He is fast, he is a shotmaker, and has that talent that lives in him waiting to display itself at all times. Good idea to start with a tournament that is not such high pressure right away.
  Yes, you can!

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:47 am

Thank you all who post such wonderful articles. Roger is cautious, and it is really understandable, No one wants the weight of a expectations all the time. But I just read that Tom Brady--football--has said that he might play on to 45. He has done really well, too.
 I always respect Roger's decisions.though, and it just the happy expectation of his return to the court that makes me dream pretty big. To my mind he can do anything he wants.

HeartoftheMatter

Sherl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Normal Milan 2001 - Roger's First ATP Title

Post by Cromar Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:49 pm

20 years already, Wow!... He was so young! Oh My! Laughing  

Relive the moment with a nice article and "look-back" video from the ATP.

A Car Break In, A 'Terrible Mistake' And Federer's First Title

20 years ago today, Roger Federer captured his first ATP Tour Title in Milan

Dave Seminara - ATPTour
February 4, 2021

Twenty years ago — when Rafael Nadal was just 14, and 21-year-old Marat Safin sat atop the FedEx ATP Rankings — a baby-faced 19-year-old from Switzerland with a ponytail and a poetic one-handed backhand won his first ATP Tour title. Roger Federer’s celebration after beating Julien Boutter at the Milan Indoors 20 years ago this week was muted, almost as if he knew it was only the start of bigger things to come.

I’ve had to wait a long time for this moment,” he said after earning $54,000 for the win. “It should get easier from here on out.”  Laughing  

102 titles, 20 majors and more than $100 million in prize money later, it’s safe to say that things did get a bit easier for the man who’s evolved into one of the world’s most celebrated and beloved athletes. But at the time, he had a more pedestrian concern to deal with: figuring out how to get back home after the match. According to René Stauffer’s excellent biography, Roger Federer: Quest for Perfection, Robert Federer, Roger’s dad, locked the keys in the car. He had to smash the window out so they could drive back to Switzerland.

Perhaps the smashing of the window foreshadowed the records his son would break, but in any case, many were surprised that it took Federer as long as it did to capture that first title. He was a top junior, having won Junior Wimbledon and the prestigious Orange Bowl tournament in Miami in 1998. After a 13-17 start on the ATP Tour in ’99, he won bronze at the Olympics in Sydney, where he and Mirka Vavrinec became a couple, and made it to the final of the Swiss Indoors Basel in his hometown.

He was clearly a future star, but no one was sure when that future would arrive.

“I didn't come in [to the match] thinking I was going to win the title, but I knew I was playing well indoors,” Federer said of that first title in 2001.

He recalled near misses in 2000, losing in a third-set tie-break to Marc Rosset in the final of what’s now called the Open 13 Provence in Marseille and a tough five-setter to Thomas Enqvist in the final of the Swiss Indoors Basel.

I played amazing against Enqvist and ended up losing … so I thought, ‘Oh, God here we go. I'm never going to win a tournament,’" Federer said. "And then when I won Milan, obviously I was extremely relieved and just very happy. I played great. It was a big moment for me.”

Boutter came into the match feeling poised to claim his first title as well. He beat Federer in their only prior match, in a Challenger event in Grenoble two years before. “He was already considered the future Pete Sampras, but at that time he was still untested and quite nervous on the court,” Boutter said in a January interview with ATPTour.com. “I was confident… it could have been my final.”

Federer beat Goran Ivanisevic and Yevgeny Kafelnikov to make it to the final against Boutter, who won fans a year later at the Australian Open when an opponent in a doubles match inadvertently hit and killed a bird that had been chasing a moth on court. Boutter rushed over to see if he could save it, but when he saw it was too late, he got down on his knees, crossed himself and gave the bird, a house martin, dignified last rites.

I really wanted to win my first ATP title. That was a big week for me... I felt like I had pressure, because maybe I went into that final as a little bit of a favourite,” Federer recalled. “But it was fast indoors and Boutter was a big server, so you never knew what was going to happen.”

Boutter, a Frenchman then 26 and ranked No. 67, was in a far less compassionate mood against Federer in Milan that day. He went up a break on the Swiss teen in the first set and Roger, who used to be a lot more McEnroe-esque on court as a teen, threw his racquet in frustration. Boutter sensed an opening.

Federer, looking sharp with his ponytail and a red and white kit befitting his Swiss heritage, stormed back to take the first set, 6-4, but fell behind again in the second set and lost it in a tie-break. Then the chair umpire made what Boutter still considers a “terrible mistake”. Federer should have served first in the third set but instead the chair umpire got mixed up and told Boutter it was his serve. If a familiar feeling of dread had taken root somewhere inside young Federer’s gut, he never showed it, breaking Boutter in that first service game and hanging on for a 6-4, 6-7(7), 6-4 win.

It took Federer nearly another year to win another title — in Sydney the following January — and later in 2002 he cracked the Top 10 for the first time. The next year, he was off to the races, going 78-17 with seven titles, including Wimbledon. The Milan Indoors became the Breil Milano in 2003, the Indesit ATP Milan Indoor the next year and the Internazionali di Lombardia in 2005, the tournament’s final season. While the event is gone, it’s clearly not forgotten. Milan now hosts the Next Gen ATP Finals.

The memory of losing to Federer remains vivid for Boutter, who retired in 2004 and is now the tournament director and co-owner of the Moselle Open, an ATP 250 event in Metz, France that’s scheduled to take place after the US Open. Ivan Ljubicic, Federer’s coach, told him two years ago that he and Roger had watched their Milan match on tape recently. Then Boutter bumped into Federer, who was still annoyed that he had lost to him back in Grenoble in 1999.

“He said that he never should have lost that match,” Boutter recalls.

Boutter says that he knew Federer would be a great player, but had no idea he’d win 102 more titles and become one of the all-time greats. He thinks the Milan story could have been different if he hadn’t lost serve in that third set when it should have been Federer’s service game after he had dropped the tie-break.

“I told Roger ‘Imagine if I had won that match, our careers would be switched’,” said Boutter, who reached a career high of No. 46 in the FedEx ATP Rankings in 2002. “He laughed and said ‘Yeah probably.’"  Smile

Federer admitted that he felt relief rather than joy and happiness — which kicked in 24 hours later — after triumphing in Milan. The Swiss remembers what he said to himself in the moment.

“At least I have one!”  Giggle
Cromar
Cromar

HeartoftheMatter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:46 am

Another good read on the same subject...

Simon Häring, Swiss journalist, wrote a great article on BZbasel relating Roger's first title in Milan. Unfortunately it's in German, but the Google translation is not too bad. Also, the article is interspersed with interesting photos, as well as a slideshow of Roger's 103 titles. At the bottom of the page - Not to be missed!

Link to the German article: HISTORISCH: Eingeschlagene Autoscheiben, Tränen und ein schmerzender Weisheitszahn: Als Roger Federer vor 20 Jahren seinen ersten Titel gewann.

One of the photos in the article... I didn't recognize his mother!  Embarassed

RF Tennis News 2021 Eb7e4d12-e442-469e-af23-95a8d47cdc71
Mother Lynette congratulates Federer after his first tournament win.
Cromar
Cromar

slaie_thuin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:54 pm

Nice piece from Piers Morgan about Roger being the GOAT of tennis.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9237229/PIERS-MORGAN-Tom-Brady-greatest-athlete-Sorry-America-doesnt-make-10.html

RF Tennis News 2021 39033366-9237229-image-a-31_1612803140167

+14
Roger Federer is the only tennis player ever to win at least 10 titles on three different surfaces

7. Roger Federer (Switzerland) Here's the question that defines Federer as the greatest tennis player in history: who would you trust to win you a match if you didn't know what surface it was going to be played on before you had to decide?

Djokovic is brilliant on hard courts, Nadal on clay, McEnroe on indoor/carpet, and Federer on grass. But the latter is the most complete all-round player. He's the only one ever to win at least 10 titles on three different surfaces. Add his 20 grand slam wins (joint top with Nadal), and his record 310 weeks at No1 on the ATP rankings, and Federer's the tennis G.O.A.T.
wcr
wcr

HeartoftheMatter and slaie_thuin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:41 am

Piers Morgan and his style... not to be found in America! I agree with Federer ratings, but I also add that statistics are not everything, certainly not the totality of a players' achievement, value and worth. Where does one list the generational change that Federer made, that caused other players up their game, and take tennis into a new dimension? For it was Federer and not Nadal, who changed the demands of tennis, the skill sets required of players.

HeartoftheMatter

wcr and slaie_thuin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:45 pm

You are right about the "Federer Effect on Tennis."  I can assure you that Nadal would have retired 10 years ago were it not for the influence of Roger's particular footwork and movement.  In his early days, Nadal used to land on his heels which is what caused trauma to his knees.  Remember all those years he had to suspend tennis for months due to knee problems?  By changing how he lands and transferring the weight away from his heels he saved his body.  Roger saved Nadal's career and countless players benefited by Roger's athletic prowess.
wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherl Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:58 pm

Roger has entered Dubai too!! 

Sherl
Sherl

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:04 pm

They had/have some of the virus going on. But they must have measures in place to stop its spread.
 That is a good beginning for Roger.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:08 pm

RF Tennis News 2021 Euwv4nHXcAEE-Qa?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://www.perfect-tennis.com/footsteps-of-federer-review/
wcr
wcr

Marly 103-20 and slaie_thuin like this post

Back to top Go down