Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Davis Cup 2017

+11
Aprilp20n
Cromar
Darktemplar
RogerNo.1
Steerpike60
Márcia
fedled
ph∞be
avasbar
Lil_Jay
wcr
15 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Normal Davis Cup 2017

Post by wcr Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:52 pm

Canada v Great Britain: Pleased to see Pospisil against Kyle Edmund. Good to find Shapovalov in the mix, putting up a spirited fight against Dan Evans. It's Nestor/Pospisil time for dubs. Go CANADA!

No surprises with Suisse/USA results.

wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: Davis Cup 2017

Post by Lil_Jay Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:32 pm

Left-handed federer they call the young Shapovalow, didn't see much resembelence did you?
Lil_Jay
Lil_Jay
Admin

https://federer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:47 pm

Lil_Jay wrote:Left-handed federer they call the young Shapovalow, didn't see much resembelence did you?

A real pity we don't have access to posts from rf.com where you'd find an exchange between Vinny and me about Shapovalov.  In short, he's the first player since I began watching Roger who I'm as excited to see play because he also turned pro with a complete game.  Sure there are a lot of players each having a couple/few things great about their game but not like Roger did when I first saw him at 19.  Shapovalov can hit everything well. He's been trained in the art of attacking tennis, his body is more developed (muscular) than many other players his same age, he makes good choices and he takes the long view.  Recently, he chose to work with Gunter Bresnik who is Dominic Thiem's coach and who once coached Boris Becker.  

Shapovalov is capable of making magic.  He's the one player I wish Roger would coach.  He's worth it.
wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:49 pm

Vashy takes it to 2-all in the 4th rubber match. It's Denis Shapovalov to play the 5th rubber match for Canada against Kyle Edmund for GB.
wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Post by avasbar Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:57 pm

Who won? My data is limited so using it all to check in here :-)
I really like Kylie, but Shapavolov is the one to watch.
avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:37 pm

Terrible ending.  Vashy struggled to get the win and set up the 5th set rubber.   Edmund played steady winning the first two sets when Shapovalov's service gamed dipped once each set.  Early in the third Edmund broke Shapovalov and as soon as the game ended DS struck a ball in frustratiion and it accidentally hit the chair umpire in his left eye.  That was it, game set match GB.  Glad the match ended right then and there as any match should end as soon as any player strikes a ball in frustration or anger and it hits someone - especially when a point is over.  Terrible situation for the chair umpire.  They should rush him off to a hospital immediately for a thorough examination of his eye, to make sure the retina did not detach.  Hope his eye will be ok and that this incident will not end his career.  It is a very serious injury.  Shapovalov was not acting out during the match just got frustrated after the third break.  Tough lesson to learn and do hope he matures and never ever lets this happen again.  

We see a lot of balls struck in anger by players, I'm glad this time those in charge followed the rules and ended the match immediately.
wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Post by UES Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:24 pm

wcr wrote:Terrible ending.  Vashy struggled to get the win and set up the 5th set rubber.   Edmund played steady winning the first two sets when Shapovalov's service gamed dipped once each set.  Early in the third Edmund broke Shapovalov and as soon as the game ended DS struck a ball in frustratiion and it accidentally hit the chair umpire in his left eye.  That was it, game set match GB.  Glad the match ended right then and there as any match should end as soon as any player strikes a ball in frustration or anger and it hits someone - especially when a point is over.  Terrible situation for the chair umpire.  They should rush him off to a hospital immediately for a thorough examination of his eye, to make sure the retina did not detach.  Hope his eye will be ok and that this incident will not end his career.  It is a very serious injury.  Shapovalov was not acting out during the match just got frustrated after the third break.  Tough lesson to learn and do hope he matures and never ever lets this happen again.  

We see a lot of balls struck in anger by players, I'm glad this time those in charge followed the rules and ended the match immediately.

Totally agree and I also am very glad the rules were enforced on the spot. I was watching the match and enjoying watching Shapovalov play for the first time. To me it looked like he didn't mean to hit the umpire, but he also could have hit someone in the stands or one of the ball kids. It's also lucky he didn't hit the umpire on the side of the head.

Good to "see" you again wcr.

UES

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:03 am

Poor, poor Denis. I fell they should not have played him for this tie. He is too young and Peter Polansky was available. I just hope Denis doesn't try rushing into things. But, I am really happy for Vasek. Too good wins. Hope he can bring this form to the tour.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by avasbar Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:53 am

Really sorry for the Umpire - havent been able yet to get the details on him, but gutted for Shapavolov. Yes, to all rules and disqualifications, but it was of course unintentional and to have had such a serious outcome for this poor kid, who is such a lovely guy; plays well, speaks well, normally behaves well
Recalls a certain person for whom such repeated ventings of frustration "are not an issue" for him, after all, it could have snowed, couldn't it?
I hope he too gets disqualified next time it didnt snow.
avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Post by fedled Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:44 am

I also watched some of Denis's matches in the DC with interest, I knew he'd had some niggles late last year and wanted to see if his level was okay. The umpire was taken to hospital and it was reported on twitter by his sister and retweeted by Steve Tignor:  "According to chair umpire Arnaud Gabas' sister, Charlotte, he has a black eye, but no damage to cornea, after shot from Denis Shapovalov"

The incident:

Bruno Soares ‏@BrunoSoares82 12 hours ago
@denis_shapo is a great kid. Tough accident today. We all made mistakes and learned from them. Head high bud. The journey is long.

Stephanie Myles ‏@OpenCourt 11 hours ago
For the record, Shapovalov is a super kid – kind, generous, likeable, polite. Doesn't mitigate what he did.

I believe Denis went to see the umpire off-court and apologised again

http://www.tenniscanada.com/ashamed-embarrassed-shapovaolv-regrets-davis-cup-letdown/

Perhaps something good may come out of this -not of course for the unfortunate Arnaud Gabas, the umpire - but perhaps this may stop players whacking the ball in a careless fashion -similar incidents are becoming commonplaceon tennis courts these days. (Perhaps if a punchbag was fixed up they could go and vent their anger/frustration on it??) :-D

Ben Rothenberg Retweeted Mark Atkinson 12 hours ago
Djokovic has had several, also Murray nearly hit ump in the head with a kicked ball in Cincy, Serena flung racket at Wimbledon, on and on…

Hope Denis will continue playing his exciting type of tennis as he's someone I will continue to watch and enjoy.... and he was so proud to play for his country ...

Davis Cup 2017 2017Denis.VasekDC_zps68j9aee7
fedled
fedled

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:10 pm

Very happy to learn that Gabas is fine and thanks to posters here for the updates on his well being. Denis Shapovalov is a great talent and fine young man from all I've seen. A tough lesson for someone so young, just starting his career. Nice outpouring from many for Gabas and those showing their support of a young lad who meant no harm. Just amazing how forgiving humans can be when someone makes a mistake and owns it. Growth. Go Denis!
wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Post by avasbar Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:24 pm

Delighted too to read no serious damage to umpire.
Owning it will help but Just hope Denis isnt too traumatised by it. Helps that he's seen as such a good guy.
avasbar
avasbar

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:00 pm

There have been other instances of balls or racquets hit into the stand, crowds etc with nothing made of it. In this case it could have caused serious injury and if the poor umpire had lost an eye I think Denis's career would have been finished. Mainly because of how devastated he would have been. My point is that it is time to start issuing strong penalties regardless of whether it hits someone or not- so that players stop doing it. Basically- you will forfeit the match if you hit the ball in anger.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by wcr Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Stefan Edberg hit an errant serve into a man's groin who was seated at the net calling the center line during the match.  The shot knocked the man out of his chair and he hit his head on the hard court surface when he landed (1983 US OPEN).  The man died 5 days later.  A very sad situation and completely unintended.  Edberg was able to get past it and go on to win 6 grand slam titles.  Edberg was the same age as Denis - 17.  Denis will get past this.

One year at the Madrid Masters Event (on clay) I saw Djokovic strike a ball in anger after a point ended and it hit a linesman - hard.  The chair umpire did not see it.  And Djokovic didn't own it.  Not the only player I've seen get away with it.  The danger with this kind of behavior is that when a point ends, the folks working on the court let down their guards and go on about their business.  They are completely vulnerable.
wcr
wcr

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil_Jay Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:00 pm

Crazy ending. Just read your info on info on Denis, ill fix my brain into gear when you say 'complete' and ill watch him from that angle on youtube now.
Lil_Jay
Lil_Jay
Admin

https://federer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum