Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2018 ATP Rankings & Schedule

+10
Steerpike60
striker
tvradke
StrongerThanAll
MaxUS
HeartoftheMatter
Kemik
Cromar
oldlady
Márcia
14 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Normal Re: 2018 ATP Rankings & Schedule

Post by MaxUS Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:36 am

^^Such a glorious sight! Love Eyes I just can't get enough of looking at the 5-digit number; it reminds me so much of the old school rankings chart where Roger was untouchable by consistently laying down those kinds of results. That he's been able to do it with only counting 12 tournaments (11 if we discount the anomaly of carrying a 0 pointer in Stuttgart) is mind-boggling.

I keep harping on it, but I'm glad that Roger is still considering playing in Dubai because I absolutely want him to play with no pressure to defend Miami if he chooses not to do so. It would be so amazing for him to hold on to number 1 throughout the clay season even if he doesn't play (there aren't many points available after Miami for the current #2 to edge ahead of him, should Roger manage to keep his nose in front.)

It's a guilty (greedy) pleasure of mine to see him atop the rankings and such an abhorrence when other players usurp his rightful spot. However, I'm very aware that Roger is not at all motivated to chase rankings willy-nilly and prefers for things to happen organically, if at all, through his results at tournaments that make sense for him to play. As Luthi commented, the #1 ranking is good for an extra boost of confidence, but certainly not worth taking unnecessary chances with health and fitness--I would add: especially at tournaments where Mirka and the kids don't make the trip (two ColdPlay concerts...really, Roger?  Shocked  4am bedtime? Shocked Shocked  )

Nevertheless, I'm happy that he's having fun and staying relaxed and motivated. He said in his post match interview after the Final in Rotterdam, that he's looking forward to being a good dad and spending time with his kids upon his arrival home from clinching the Rotterdam title and securing the #1 ranking. That's the balance of family and career milestones that have been a winning formula since the kids arrived...the results just follow. So, I'm at peace with whatever decision he takes. It's good news that he's made it through another tournament feeling healthy and with no physical issues, beyond being tired.

MaxUS

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:38 am

Love your post, MaxUS!  Thumbs up
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:42 am

@ATP World Tour
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:45 am

Love it!  Love Eyes

ATP World Tour‏: The Timeless Champion    

From fashion to technology and everything in between, a lot has changed since @rogerfederer​ first held the No.1 spot in the ATP Rankings

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:29 am

Not often you see Ivan and Severin beaming like this! 😉

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by oldlady Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:36 am

Cromar wrote:Love your post, MaxUS!  Thumbs up
2018 ATP Rankings & Schedule - Page 2 6715zq   Me too. Thank you!
And thank you Cromar for all the goodies... Smile
oldlady
oldlady

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:55 am

Hee hee

Twitter ABN AMRO WTT‏ @abnamrowtt  · 16 hours ago

Roger Federer: "I feel very old when I see the ranking"  

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:15 am

This is the list of the top 50 Roger is referring to in the above video. Only three players, besides Roger, are still active, and I hadn't noticed, but Roger did (awkeye!)... all three are Spanish! Shocked  I am not sure, however, if we should to read anything into that?

And with his win in Rotterdam, Roger Federer will become the oldest ATP Number 1 in history.

Here is the top 50 when Roger was first No. 1, in February 2004, with their current ATP ranking (for those who haven't retired yet):

2018 ATP Rankings & Schedule - Page 2 DWMFQxfW0AAPMTC?format=jpg&name=medium

Source: Jeu, Set et Maths  ( Camera / Photo from @GrogsGamut) · Feb 16  Twitter
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by StrongerThanAll Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Too bad we couldn't get a picture with Stefan Edberg in there with the other 4. He might not be his coach now but those couple years must have helped him get here.
StrongerThanAll
StrongerThanAll

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:02 pm

It makes me want to cry with joy, too, to see his jubilation! Remember....remember....the time when they tried to 'write him off, more or less, or relegate him with his already superior achievements to the back of the line? I do, and I wish all those comments had been written down on sandpaper and those who said them would have to eat them. Some nasty stuff had happened there.
I AM SO GLAD that Roger kept the belief in himself. He also knew that there were people around him who believed, and amonog his fans, too, worldwide.
The Rightness of it comes from who he is, the super talent, the physical suitedness and work, and love of the sport. It is not always easy to go on when results don't come the way one hopes they would, but it was his loving tennis, pacing, and patience that kept him and brought him to this high peak. And he is thankful, you can see that, not 'but of course, no chest beating."
And look, others struggle to not only get one slam but then to try to wtring some together--while he had taken off from the first one like a falcon in full flight! Thank you for the unalloyed pleasure, RF!

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:52 pm

An interesting graph, published by the Swiss magazine Blick, showing Roger's incredible road from No. 17 to No. 1 in 13 months!
I added an English translation below the 'month' timeline.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by tvradke Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:38 pm

Just try and remember that at the start of 2017, the chatter basically was "How long will Roger continue playing when he realizes that 17 is reflective of his ranking?" (Actual Brad Gilbert Line during the ESPN AO coverage of 2017) - Remember they all expected Roger to go out early, he would have dropped to #30 if he had lost to Berdych in R3 and several people expected him to lose that match. I actually remember wondering similar things myself obviously hoping that things would improve for Roger and hoping to see him peak by Wimbledon. Winning Australia in 2017 changed everything. #1 when he is well over 36 has to be arguably one of the greatest achievements in tennis. Hopefully he is #1 on his 37th birthday. It will be a special one.

tvradke

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:49 pm

^^^
Amem, tvradke! You know? Everytime I think on the nr. 1 I am teary. And I know, I am not alone.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemik Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:56 pm

Now, with Nadal out of Indian Wells and Miami, Roger needs 710 points from these two tournaments to remain the world #1 after Miami (and most likely until Rome, too, as Nadal can't gain any points from his scheduled tournaments until the tournament in the Eternal City). That means one title or at least two semifinals. After Indian Wells he remains #1 if he will reach at least SF.
Kemik
Kemik

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxUS Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:56 am

IW will be precarious. I had thought that with the 455 point cushion from Rotterdam that IW would have been less of a nail-biter, but I had forgotten just how early the two met at IW last year.

From the article on the ATP website regarding Nadal's withdrawal:
Because Nadal will only drop 90 ATP Rankings points following a fourth-round exit in 2017, he could return to No. 1 in the ATP Rankings on 19 March after the BNP Paribas Open. Current World No. 1 Roger Federer, who is defending 1000 points after winning the Indian Wells title last year, must reach the semi-finals to hold onto top spot.
MaxUS
MaxUS

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:21 pm

It's not going to be a cakewalk, that's for sure... 2000 points are never easy to defend! Should Roger not make it in IW, he will have a little reprieve in Miami, however, as Nadal will be dropping 600 points then.

Kemik outlined what he needs to do to remain No 1 until, at least, the Eternal city - I like that!  Smile  (and maybe for eternity, then!!  Hee hee ) With his current form, I think it's quite doable.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum