Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2019 General Tennis News

+12
TuTi_fanofRFed
wcr
Chrigi
federerworshipper
ph∞be
Kop8zky
norinchi
HeartoftheMatter
UES
Márcia
Steerpike60
Cromar
16 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Normal Re: 2019 General Tennis News

Post by Cromar Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:09 pm

ATP Finals moving to Turin in 2021

Roger on Facebook

Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:06 am

Steerpike60, thank you for that unbelievable story! Some divorces get uncomfortable, other nasty and some like a life and death confrontation. But this seems to be more than the divorce.
How come Gimelstob is walking around assaulting people and no judgment made on him? If true, this sounds unhinged. Even if it had been somewhat embellished, perchance, just by repetition of some words, Gimelstob should go in got evaluation to a hospital or some sort of clinic.
A most unusual situation, sounding as though he had gone off the deep end, or did he always have similar tendencies?
Even a restraining order would not be enough. ???

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:11 pm

^^^ Part of his sentence is a year of "anger management". Supposedly there is plenty of video evidence of the attack so not much to dispute there. As for other altercations between them... that is a he said/she said kind of situation. The latest is Gimelstob now filing a restraining order against the guy he attacked (Kaplan). What a mess.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:29 pm

It does seem that Gimelstob is the "attacking" and "besides himself" person. Who would have thought, unless this is a change in him, due to being unhinged by divorce, of just a personality trait that emerges sometimes. Quite radical to me.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Wed May 01, 2019 3:13 pm

Gimelstob is stepping down effective immediately:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/01/sports/justin-gimelstob.html
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed May 01, 2019 3:29 pm

Glad to see that sanity has prevailed. Now hopefully, we can close this sad chapter, on the tennis side at least.

Brad Gilbert is running for the job! The highest-profile figure so far in the list of potential candidates to replace Justin Gimelstob on the ATP board of directors.  The board is slated to vote May 14, during the Masters 1000 tournament in Rome.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed May 01, 2019 3:40 pm

On a lighter note... John Isner and Madison are expecting another child.  Clapping Hands  They had a 'reveal gender' party with friends, tennis style.

Very cute and surprising!  And watch John reaction... Dare say he was pretty happy with the result!  Laughing

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Wed May 01, 2019 5:07 pm

Cromar wrote:Glad to see that sanity has prevailed. Now hopefully, we can close this sad chapter, on the tennis side at least.

Brad Gilbert is running for the job! The highest-profile figure so far in the list of potential candidates to replace Justin Gimelstob on the ATP board of directors.  The board is slated to vote May 14, during the Masters 1000 tournament in Rome.

Here's an article that lists all the candidates who have come forward so far (15).  It's too bad this departure of Gimelstob didn't happen before they ousted Kermode.  Gimelstob was in tight with Djoker to get rid of him.

https://tennis.life/2019/05/01/candidates-15-stand-for-atp-tour-board-spot/
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Wed May 01, 2019 9:20 pm

In the first place, I wonder what the issue with Kermode was. Wasn't Kermode himself brought in to replace someone else? It appears that there are a lot of "sides" and pressures, and things are quite political. There are some on the players' council that I would not trust fully in terms of what's good for regular tournament players, and the future of tennis.
I hope no drastic changes are planned, and that no cheerleaders will appear. I already don't understand the need for blaring music during the brief breaks between sets.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Thu May 02, 2019 2:00 pm

For those not familiar with Gimelstob's past, he got into hot water in 2008 for sexist comments about Kournikova:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/atptour/2304242/Tennis-pundit-launches-sexist-tirade.html

And it looks like he comes by this kind of behavior "honestly".  His Dad was arrested for abusing his wife:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/9086734/daily_record/
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Normal Addendum

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu May 02, 2019 6:47 pm

Ugly, coarse and distasteful. How was this ever tolerated?.......P.S, It goes to show that you can't tell from a person's behaviour or demeanor unless you happen to have witnessed such acts and words. He seemed perfectly decent and pleasant. I suppose a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde. Divorces can bring out the worst in some people, but still, there are boundaries. What is surprising are those cases where children are involved. I don't know if that is the case here. However, Gimmelstob clearly has a streak of some sort of nastiness, if he had an issue with Kournikova.
Can someone "unlearn" or understand why his behavour is wrong, and what causes him to be like that? I tend to feel that abusive people either have a sense of entitlement, that they can do and say what they want, but others can't, or they make up for some deep resentment or hurt.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:50 pm

I put this in the Laver Cup thread, but it probably applies here too. There's a dust-up going on at Twitter as it appears the ATP site is now counting Laver Cup matches in the H2Hs. The weird part that I discovered is that, for right now, only the Prague results are showing. Not the Chicago ones.

A couple of things. Should the ATP retroactively count Prague and Chicago? Or should it start with Geneva? Honestly, I don't know.

Should it count at all? Personally I don't have a problem with it counting. I mean, Davis Cup and the Olympic matches count even though there are no ranking points for those events either.

Of course, haters are calling it a glorified exho. Anyone who actually watched it knows that the players did not treat it as an exho. Not at all. And some are trashing Roger since the ATP is, of course, bowing to Federer in their mind.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:18 pm

I don't know the ins and outs of these special events. On the one hand, only some people can participate in them, as in the Laver Cup, or Davis Cup. But they are more than exhibition matches. For the top players, where the real competition is, it could count. If the Olympic Games count, then these can, too.
As for the furor, I suspect it is mostly caused by fans of the abominable Gumby and the indisputably southpaw.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 pm

Laughing Laughing Gumby is a first!!! Love it!!!
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:24 pm

HeartoftheMatter wrote:I don't know the ins and outs of these special events. On the one hand, only some people can participate in them, as in the Laver Cup, or Davis Cup. But they are more than exhibition matches. For the top players, where the real competition is, it could count. If the Olympic Games count, then these can, too.
As for the furor, I suspect it is mostly caused by fans of the abominable Gumby and the indisputably southpaw.

I've never quite understood why the Fed haters (most of whom are fans of the other two) would complain about LC since their boys have played in it and WON the title. Heck, Nadal is planning to play again in Geneva! Guess they just don't like Roger getting praised for coming up with the idea. This has never been an exho from Day One. Certainly not by the players. And another reason why the Fed, Djoker, and Rafa fans shouldn't care? Well, those three will never play each other in LC!! They are all on the same team... so it won't affect the H2Hs between them anyway.

Since the Olympics and Davis Cup no longer offer rankings points and their matches count towards H2Hs, there is no reason Laver Cup shouldn't be the same. DC and the Olympics are not even ATP events... they are ITF. Since LC is now a sanctioned ATP event, its matches should count in H2Hs. Now... should it retroactively count from Prague and Chicago? That is more debatable. But I see no problem with the Geneva matches counting.

As far as who can participate in "special events'... well in a way, that pretty much applies to every tournament.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:14 am

Update from Del Potro... He is making some progress.  Smile

"A new stage in my recovery. Goodbye crutches!"

2019 General Tennis News - Page 5 D_X-wADXUAEan9D?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Pubished on Jul. 13 -  Twitter @delpotrojuan  
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down