Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Schedule 2018

+30
cornnn92
Darktemplar
Cheadlebeagle
Steerpike60
norinchi
nea makri
oldlady
fraline
Manu
Katarina_YYZ
ph∞be
dung98
oldfan
Giontumasch
anutam
geniallis
Aprilp20n
tvradke
RoGer 2 Death
RogerNo.1
Tommymas1
skumars
Kop8zky
Sherl
Kemik
MaxUS
Márcia
michelle88
striker
Cromar
34 posters

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Schedule 2018

Post by Guest Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:09 pm

Kemik wrote:but if Nadal won't be so good this year on clay or will be even injured, who knows

Or if he have some tough opponents on his way, who knows ?? LOL Flag

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemik Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:58 pm

FEDBERG wrote:
Kemik wrote:but if Nadal won't be so good this year on clay or will be even injured, who knows

Or if he have some tough opponents on his way, who knows ?? LOL Flag

Hehe, yeah, the Prince of Clay looks great again this year. 8) And there are bunch of good Asian baseliners, such as Chung and resurging Nishikori who can make a nightmare to any player on clay. But I am not sure about Djokovic if he is to play on his highest level anytime again. On the other hand, I am almost sure that Alexander Zverev will find his range again.

For me, it was a surprise that Nadal dominated the clay season last year. I thought that his age would be a factor in long baseline rallies and that younger players would start to beat him in this type of tennis. But they haven't yet. It is just a matter of time though.
Kemik
Kemik

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:54 pm

Kemik wrote:For me, it was a surprise that Nadal dominated the clay season last year. I thought that his age would be a factor in long baseline rallies and that younger players would start to beat him in this type of tennis. But they haven't yet. It is just a matter of time though.

I was hoping Nadal wouldn't dominate clay last year, but I wasn't massively surprised that he did. The one "younger" player who I think can start to threaten him on clay is Thiem. It is his best surface. Maybe this year?
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:24 pm

Kemik wrote:
FEDBERG wrote:Of course it's Rodg's decision, but for me it would be a mistake to play Dubai.
This has been a very tough and emotional week for him in Rotterdam, and Indian Wells + Miami are too close...

I agree totally here. But for the clay season there are many possibilities...

Of course everybody would like to see Roger winning Monte Carlo or Rome Masters one day or winning Roland Garros once more but it is surely the most important that he doesn't risk any injuries or fatigue by playing too many or any matches on clay. And last year's schedule without playing on clay made a good sense at this stage of his career, so it makes sense to repeat these "tactics".

Indeed! As much as it would be wonderful to see Roger beat Nadal on clay, I really hope that he isn't tempted - I can't see how, at almost 37, even he can have the stamina to survive long baseline rallies against much younger opponents over the course of a week. Doing so would hugely increase the likelihood of tweaking his back/knee and, even if it didn't, his energy reserves would be severely depleted going into Wimbledon.

He made the mistake of overplaying last season when he entered Montreal with the intention of playing Cinci the following week, instead of just having a week's lead-in time to prepare for Cinci and the USO - I'm convinced that decision cost Roger the US Open. I hope he and his team take that lesson to heart!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:36 pm

Steerpike60 wrote:
Kemik wrote:For me, it was a surprise that Nadal dominated the clay season last year. I thought that his age would be a factor in long baseline rallies and that younger players would start to beat him in this type of tennis. But they haven't yet. It is just a matter of time though.

I was hoping Nadal wouldn't dominate clay last year, but I wasn't massively surprised that he did.  The one "younger" player who I think can start to threaten him on clay is Thiem.  It is his best surface.  Maybe this year?

Maybe, but I find Thiem to be a limited player - he appears to struggle (or he has up to now) to think on his feet, so I can't help thinking Nadal will be too court-wise for him. It's Nadal's own fitness issues that are just as likely to defeat him - especially if he gets a couple of tough opponents in consecutive rounds (like he did in Australia); players of the ilk of Schwartzman/Nishikori/Goffin. If he then had to play Thiem in a final, that would be mighty interesting!

Back to top Go down

Post by skumars Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:07 pm

Any news about Dubai yet?
skumars
skumars

Back to top Go down

Post by skumars Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:12 pm

Here are some interesting scheduling possibilities:

1. More likely: IW, Miami, Halle, Wimbledon, Cincy, US Open
2. Possible but difficult: Dubai, IW, Miami, Stuttgart, Halle, Wimbledon
3. Wishful thinking: Dubai, IW, Miami, Rome/Madrid, RG, Halle, Wimbledon

Whatever it is, I have stopped being greedy, and am happy with whatever comes our way. Just that he should stay healthy, happy, and eager to play. Oh Gawd, how much I am loving to be on top of the world being #1. It's not Him, it's all of us -- his ardent fans -- who are #1. May this dream live on forever.
skumars
skumars

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:45 am

Remember that Miami has the reputation of being very slow. With a bit of luck, RG would not take much more energy to get deep into the draw, assuming Roger does not play on clay prior and uses the first rounds for adjustment (if he loses, it is what it is, otherwise, he may take his chances in the second week). I also think Roger can now tackle slams without any warm-up tournament on the same surface, so my take would be:

4. IW, RG, (Halle), Wimbledon, Cincy, USOpen, Shanghai, Basel, WTF (total = 10/11 tournaments for the year).

Manu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:56 am

If he had decided to play Dubai, we'll already knew it by now.
Am I right ??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:03 pm

Manu wrote:Remember that Miami has the reputation of being very slow. With a bit of luck, RG would not take much more energy to get deep into the draw, assuming Roger does not play on clay prior and uses the first rounds for adjustment (if he loses, it is what it is, otherwise, he may take his chances in the second week). I also think Roger can now tackle slams without any warm-up tournament on the same surface, so my take would be:

4. IW, RG, (Halle), Wimbledon, Cincy, USOpen, Shanghai, Basel, WTF (total = 10/11 tournaments for the year).

It's the danger to his knee/back that the surface represents - I think it would be an unnecessary risk with Halle and Wimbledon so soon afterwards. What Roger did last year worked a treat (apart from Montreal), so why change it?

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle88 Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:26 pm

Roger, unsurprisingly, not going to Dubai:

michelle88
michelle88

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:59 pm

I am very happy to hear this news about Dubai. I'm glad Roger is not overplaying.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:05 pm

Good news!

Back to top Go down

Post by skumars Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:24 pm

This was expected. From the statement, it seems Roger is very serious about defending his sunshine double, which is a good thing. I hope Nadal doesn’t defend his Acapulco points.
skumars
skumars

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherl Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:15 pm

Not unexpected! And that opens up for the clay season as well.
Sherl
Sherl

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:06 am

He is going to the Laureus awards instead. Happy  Hope he wins! Good luck

You can see the list of nominees and details/comments about the awards in the Laureus Awards 2018 thread.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum