Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2017 ATP Rankings & Schedule

+22
Tommymas1
skumars
MaxUS
Rufus1
striker
Aprilp20n
fedled
StrongerThanAll
oldfan
project19
RFfan90
michelle88
tvradke
Kazzie
Márcia
ph∞be
Kop8zky
RogerNo.1
avasbar
Steerpike60
Lil_Jay
Cromar
26 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Normal Re: 2017 ATP Rankings & Schedule

Post by Steerpike60 Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:20 pm

Tommymas1 wrote:A little discussed point here..... had Roger not withdrew from Cincy until after the first round (gets a bye and 10 points for the first round), he would be the 2nd seed at the US Open because he would be 5 points ahead of Murray and No. 2 this week.  Hope it doesn't affect him on the draw.

Yeah, I had thought of that too, but obviously Roger didn't feel it was worth it for his back.  And what scenario would you consider as "affecting him in the draw"?  Being drawn in Rafa's half so they would potentially meet in the SFs versus the Fs?  That's the only real difference I can see.

Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:41 pm

Tommymas1 wrote:A little discussed point here..... had Roger not withdrew from Cincy until after the first round (gets a bye and 10 points for the first round), he would be the 2nd seed at the US Open because he would be 5 points ahead of Murray and No. 2 this week.  Hope it doesn't affect him on the draw.

For being the fittest he could be in NY, he needed to be out of Cincy - His first round is actually the second round of the tournament - Wednesday start.  He would have had to be in Cincy, do pre-tournament press, do practise, be in public eye etc until pulling out AFTER playing the match - pull out before that match and he still gets 0.  Not worth it.

He went to Cincy on the Sunday night, saw his family etc, went into the TD and gave his statement Monday morning personally, then departed.  Had to do none of the other stuff and could get on to the rehab.  If he woke up realizing that rehab was needed then it served no purpose to stay at the tournament and virtually waste 3 days, energy and potentially hurting it further because he would have had to play a minimum of one match to gain that 10 points - loss in 2nd round.

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:00 pm

Who will be No 1 after the USO Question  The answer is not so simple...

But here are the possible scenarios by ATP Media Info:

2017 ATP Rankings & Schedule - Page 7 DIFuRKWXoAAnVO7

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:11 pm

(Same posted in the US Open 2017 tournament thread)

Here is the "Round-by-Round Chart" for the US Open 2017, so you may follow the progress of the top players throughout the tournament.

The chart is sorted by the 'Live Ranking' points, that is the current ATP Ranking points -minus the points to defend from last year. Note that for Wawrinka, Djokovic and Nishikori, who are out for the rest of the season, I used the points they will have at the end of the year to get a more realistic view of where they would be in the rankings with those points.

With the withdrawal of Murray, Roger is now guaranteed to be ranked No 2 after the US Open, if not No 1!  8)

The race for No 1 is on between Roger and Nadal. Roger will be No 1 if he is the Champion or Finalist, or if he gets to the SF and Nadal doesn't, or if Roger reaches the QF and Nadal loses in the first round.

So, if Roger doesn't at least reach the QF, Nadal will remain No 1 (regardless of his result), and if they meet in the SF, the winner of that match will be the future No 1, quite obviously.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:34 pm

So I guess Roger has no chance to be no1 by years end...even with tournies coming up & him making quarters at USO. I cannot understand charts!! Embarassed Thank you .
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by StrongerThanAll Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:44 pm

World Tour Finals is worth alot of points. Put it this way, I'd still think he can chase #1 but Delpo HAS to beat Nadal tomorrow. and that's that.
StrongerThanAll
StrongerThanAll

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus1 Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:55 pm

striker wrote:So I guess Roger has no chance to be no1 by years end...even with tournies coming up & him making quarters at USO. I cannot understand charts!! Embarassed  Thank you .

Not at all!!  All it means at the moment is that Nadal will remain number 1 following this tournament.  All to play for.  At the moment, Roger is behind by 680 points in live ranking.  If Del Potro wins tomorrow, it will remain that way going into Asia.  Of-course, a loss increases the spread.  But in Roger's remaining tournaments, he has the opportunity for 4000 points if he runs the tables.  First get rested, rehabbed, practise and rediscover his early season magic!!!  And then anything is possible.  Remember that Nadal is no spring chicken himself and has played a lot more matches and practise than Roger recently!!  At one point, the Energizer bunny will run out of energy!!!

Rufus1

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:03 pm

^^^ True. Even if Rafa wins the USO... Roger still has a shot with Shanghai (1000 pts), Basel (500 points), Paris (1000 points) and London (1500 points) up for grabs. As far as I know, Rafa is scheduled to play all these events too (and I think he plays another 1 in Asia). So Roger will obviously have to do better than Rafa.

Ideally we need Rafa to not win the USO. But even if he does... Roger still has a shot.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by cornnn92 Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:11 pm

After the USO Roger will be nearly 2,000 points behind Nadal... Impossible task sorry... Nadal would have to collapse and Roger to have a superlative indoor season...
cornnn92
cornnn92

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommymas1 Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:07 am

Roger getting back to no. 1 will be a tall order.
He is currently behind Rafa by 1960 points (Almost a whole slam) with both having no points to defend. Even if Roger goes on a tear and wins 3 of the 4 tournaments, unless Rafa loses in very early rounds, it will still be difficult to overcome. Shame really, as Roger was so close going into Montreal/Cincy and it seemed that momentum was on his side and Rafa looked vulnerable. Who knew that an upcoming back issue, an untimely Murray withdrawal and an easy draw for Nadal would lead to this (Not to mention RF's loss to Delpo). At the risk of incurring some wrath and looking back, and as I contended back then, it was a mistake for Roger to take off the entire clay court season and not play for 10 weeks. I know conventional wisdom says a break was in order since it was not expected for Roger to have such great success and play so many matches by winning titles Jan-March.
I think Roger should have played at least one Masters (mostly likely Madrid since he has done well there and the quick clay suits him better) plus Roland Garros. I think he would have had enough success at these tournaments that it would have put him at no. 1 going into the US Open, thus changing the entire dynamics of the draw. Besides that, there is one other reason why I believe Roger should have played on clay. I believe Roger should have struck while the iron was hot and he was playing unbelievably confident and aggressive tennis. From 3-1 down in that fifth set against Rafa at the AO, it's like Roger turned on a switch and summoned all his power. He was virtually unstoppable. Moreover and just as importantly, he was in Rafa's head (much like Djokovic was in 2015, beating Rafa 6 straight times, to include his beloved clay). Rafa has already said publicly said that he had played Roger in enough finals and was hoping to not have to face him in any other upcoming tournaments. He repeated this just before Wimbledon and again before the US Open. Could you imagine if Roger was able to play Rafa at Roland Garros in the later rounds? It would have been a win-win situation. Roger loses, well he was supposed to on clay against Rafa. However, if Roger beats Nadal at the French (where he has never been able to do so
In finals and semis), imagine not only the points that he would have prevented Rafa from getting, but consider how much more owned Rafa would have felt against Roger. I remember when Novak was beating Rafa handily, Rafa was a different player and his confidence wasn't there anymore. He knew he would lose, even on his beloved clay. Rafa looked that way as Roger beat him handily at both Indian Wells and Miami. Roger taking a break at this time was all Rafa needed as he went on a tear, winning 4 clay court events. I know folks will say that Roger then wouldn't have been fresh for Wimbledon but for me, 10 weeks off was too long. Roger had to train during that period anyway so he may have well played. It reminds me of 2014, when Roger was close to catching Novak for year end no.1 but just fell a little short. There were tournaments that Roger withdrew from and that made catching up to Novak very difficult. You can't make up that time or those tournaments. I contend that Roger should have pursued Rafa on clay, to send him and others a message. I know Roger is a humble guy and he sounds content of his success this year, but it's one of those times that I wish Roger had a little more Michael Jordan or Mike Tyson or Lionel Messi in him..... put your opponent down and don't let up. Just my thoughts.... and I hope Roger does indeed have a strong finish to 2017 and gives Rafa a run for his money. But with the likes of Djokovic, Wawrinka and possibly Murray out of the ATP finals, I don't see many others that can beat him except Roger. Here's to a hopeful strong 2017 finish for Roger.

Tommymas1

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:01 pm

cornnn92 wrote:After the USO Roger will be nearly 2,000 points behind Nadal... Impossible task sorry... Nadal would have to collapse and Roger to have a superlative indoor season...

I agree.  I don't think Roger has any real chance to catch Nadal.  We needed Rafa to not win the USO, but that was never going to happen because he was given the most lucky draw ever.  Sure Roger getting #1 would have been cool, especially YE #1, but one of the reasons this doesn't bug me as much is because Nadal is never going to catch Roger's #1 records.  Rafa would have to be #1 for like 3 years to even come close to Roger.  Never going to happen.

At this point, since #1 is off the table for Roger, my only real wish left this year is for Nadal not to win the YEC.  Of course, given that so many of the top players won't be playing... the only guy who can stop him is Roger.  And knowing Nadal's luck, he'll get the 'easy' RR group in London too.

As great as Roger's first 6 months have been... I fear the second half of the year might be the opposite.  At his age... I think his back will act up a lot more often.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Lil_Jay Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:05 pm

I hear you on your post but as you know, there wasn't a guarantee that all would be great post clay season either if he decided to take it on, the general view was that when he won so much he wanted to make sure his body stacked up and changed to another mindset...we'll see how this goes, but a fit Roger is def needed for this swing, some important matches coming to restore order
Lil_Jay
Lil_Jay
Admin

https://federer.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by striker Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:53 pm

>>A Tweet on the forum says Roger may skip Paris Masters. When did he say that??
striker
striker

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:16 am

striker wrote:>>A Tweet on the forum says Roger may skip Paris Masters. When did he say that??

Till now, I think he never said that. But... I may be wrong.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommymas1 Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:26 am

https://www.google.com/amp/metro.co.uk/2017/09/25/roger-federer-hints-at-schedule-change-amid-rafael-nadal-chase-for-year-end-world-no-1-6953891/amp/

Tommymas1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:37 am

This Metro article must be the source of the tweet you are referring to, striker...

It am not too surprised that Roger may actually skip Paris, as he realizes that the No 1 spot is probably out of reach now.

I will post the full article in the RF Schedule.

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum