Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2020

+19
Lil_Jay
Rufus1
Thandi
norinchi
Cheadlebeagle
tvradke
H.Z.
mariah1
UES
Sherl
Marly 103-20
federerworshipper
Fedexpress09
TuTi_fanofRFed
Márcia
ph∞be
HeartoftheMatter
Steerpike60
Cromar
23 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Normal RF Tennis News 2020

Post by Cromar Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:31 pm

A great read!  Love Eyes

Swiss Watch: What will a busy, and likely pivotal, 2020 bring Federer?

The 20-time major champion's game has changed with the times, but time hasn’t changed his competitive zeal.

By Joel Drucker
January 07, 2020

Each year, shortly after Roger Federer’s arrival at the National Tennis Centre in Melbourne, a locker room attendant hands him a letter-sized envelope. Inside the envelope is a handwritten note wishing Federer good luck at the Australian Open.

View full article :

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2020

Post by Steerpike60 Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:14 pm

^^^That is a good article.  One point really struck me:

Wilander's belief is that because Fed was hardly tested in his prime years of dominance, he never learned to win big points

I think this is true to some extent.  In his prime, Roger rarely found himself in 5-setters or close matches.  And if he did, it was because he didn't have his A game.  That's why his 5-set record wasn't that great.  Roger wasn't used to winning "ugly" so-to-speak.  He didn't have a lot of practice playing close battles and therefore wasn't necessarily as clutch as some others who played close matches more often - like Rafa.  That's why Roger's AO 2017 win was so striking.  Most everyone expected Roger to lose after going down the early break in the 5th set.  As P-Mac said afterwards "Roger rafa-ed Rafa".

Obviously, you can't win as much as Roger has without being great on big points, but as the article pointed out, Roger has lost 22 times after having MPs.  Roger has lost plenty of very close matches because he was the one who made the decisive errors.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

cornnn92 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:29 pm

Roger, in my view, had plenty of opposition in his younger days. It was certainly unprecedented that once he got his fist Wimbledon title, he continued to win and became no. 1 for an unbroken stretch of week, more than anyone has had. 
 But I saw Roger play very strong opponents and win five setters. The difference then was that I saw him making shots, such as "leaning out" at the very corner of the baseline to return a ball. It was quite unreal, what he could do. He still gets unreal shots but his game is more controlled. Back then it was the total exuberance of being on top and being younger. 
 He has added to his skills, rather than lost. His experience is vast. I think he is very good at playing close matches and winning them. What about other players' record? No one can dispute thought what Roger has done in tennis.
 Actually for quite some years he has been "handicapped" by draws, and having to play two of the top players. And let's remember, he is the one who reached twenty Grand Slam titles, AND he hardly ever withdrew from a match, unlike some other players. If Roger went ot play, then that's what he did. No resorting to frequent medical timeouts either; it was a rarity for him to do that.
 I still consider, and it is by far the determining factor, that the GS title count is the most weighty, the real deal for assessing a player. As younger players know, it is "very hard" to get a GS title!
 Overall, I agree with the Michael Jordan viewpoint. He lost some twenty-six shots that were crucial in his career. But what he got was unusual. There is no playing without losing some. 
 I like the Wilander words (and he hasn't always been so complimentary) and think back to 2008 when Federer's incipient retirement was a frequent topic! And Lendl, is quite a player who does not speak out often and when he does he makes sense.. He is a man's man type of person though I think now he has four daughters! How nice! Roger. having both sons and daughters--and three females in the immediate household has also benefitedfrom the feminine influence around him. The ATP tournament is full of masculine influences and company and so on. So the female side is welol attended also!
 And nice closing words about Roger's tennis IQ, which was mentioned often years ago, and not so frequently these days.
 But he does have that Einstein kind of depth of knowledge and what still feeds science, inspiration and out of mind plays.
Laughing

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:43 pm

Joel Drucker did a whole world round-up, including sages from China, to describe the Federer tennis we marvel at. I like his approach, differentitating his style from the sledge hammer types. Also, the Aussie influence. Indeed, those players like Laver, Rosewall--and I never knew he sent a good luck greeting to Roger each year at the AO!--and others, including his coach, Carter. It is of note that those players were rather well mannered and versatile players. 
 Altogether, a good piece of writing.It aims at appreciating Roger and his career, and also shows that one can work with time, which after all is always NOW.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:02 pm

Here is my favorite quote and one that I feel, too, from Mr. Robert Lake of Dougless College sports science: "He is playing the game it was meant to be."
 I couldn't agree more, even if I am not an expert. I go with what my eyes see.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:38 pm

HoTM wrote: "Roger, in my view, had plenty of opposition in his younger days."

Of course he did.  That wasn't my point.  I was just agreeing with Wilander that Roger, in his prime, didn't have the same battle-practice as say Rafa did.  And I don't mean style-of-play.  I'm talking about the mental part.  When you constantly find yourself in battles (and winning), you are going to be much more mentally clutch than someone who doesn't find themselves in that situation often.  

Right now, Djoker is winning a lot of TBs and close matches.  That is invaluable for his confidence UNFORTUNATELY.  I dearly hope it does not continue.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:17 am

Roger speaking to the press ahead of the AO...

Roger Federer ready and in good shape for Australian Open campaign

Agency Staff | BusinessDay    
13 January 2020

Roger Federer of Switzerland practices ahead of the 2020 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on January 12 2020. Picture: GETTY IMAGES/ DARRIAN TRAYNOR  

View article :
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:49 pm

BREAKING NEWS:

What a horrible news!  It sent shivers down my spine. Roger will be devastated, he really admired him. RIP Kobe.

US Open last year: Kobe waits for coin toss walk on

Kobe and Roger at the coin toss!  

And this photo... It was on our homepage last year!  Crying  

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:03 am

I wonder how badly affected Kyrgios will be - he is a huge basketball fan- though I'm not sure if he was a Kobe fan.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:24 pm

^^^
ph∞be dear, I think it is impossible to not be a fan of Kobe. I am not interested in basketball but sometimes I watched the Lakers matches only to see him. And I think every sportsman (and beyond sports) is devastated with this terrible news. I am.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:36 pm

Djoker lists Kobe as a mentor.  Just a few days ago, when he was interviewed by TTC after his match, he talked about Kobe.  And Kobe sat in his box at the USO last year.  Kobe was asked who was his favorite of the "Big 3" and he said Djoker.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:42 pm

Márcia wrote:^^^
ph∞be dear, I think it is impossible to not be a fan of Kobe. 
I don't dispute his greatness as a basketball player nor that he became a good husband and father, but I never liked him after the "rape" charge in 2003.  I was living in CO at the time (where the assault took place) so it was big news there.  Anyway, criminal charges ended up not being done, but there was a civil suit that he settled out of court.  He publicly apologized to his wife and this was part of his statement:

Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.”

I always found it interesting that he ended up having 4 daughters.  No doubt he came to respect women a lot more through his family.  And he became quite an advocate for women in sports because of his daughters.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by ph∞be Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:55 pm

^^^ I was aware of this, as well. I think that these days with the #Me Too movement ongoing, it may not have blown over the way it did. I do not follow the NBA so I bow to the others who know more that he was an extraordinary Basketball player. Djokovic referred to Christiano Ronaldo as well in that same interview. And, since I do follow Soccer avidly, I can say that CR is definitely NOT one of my favourites.
ph∞be
ph∞be

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:57 am

ph∞be dear, I am with you. CR7 is definitely NOT one of my favourites. Nor one of the players I like. I am a big fan of Messi. CR, no!

Steerpike60, I must admit, I squeezed totally the rape accusation. In 2003 I was living in Viet Nam, the informations was rare. I watched some of his matches at the vietnamese TV. I was referring to the sportsman that we lost.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:02 am

ph∞be, very interesting what you tell about Djokovic's preferences. For me it is normal he is a fan of CR7. As Roger is a fan of Messi.  Wink Gif The arrogance of Djokovic go together with the arrogance of CR7. The genius of Roger and the genius of Messi, their simplicity as persons, go together.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum