Roger Federer Forum
Only members can read the topics or post on this forum.

Please login or register as a new member. It's free... and may you find some old friends!
Roger Federer Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RF Tennis News 2020

+19
Lil_Jay
Rufus1
Thandi
norinchi
Cheadlebeagle
tvradke
H.Z.
mariah1
UES
Sherl
Marly 103-20
federerworshipper
Fedexpress09
TuTi_fanofRFed
Márcia
ph∞be
HeartoftheMatter
Steerpike60
Cromar
23 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Normal Re: RF Tennis News 2020

Post by Márcia Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:25 pm

Me also, I love tennis, and there are some players I am happy to follow. No one is Roger, no one will come close to him. But this is not a reason for me to stop watching a sport I love, since the first time I saw Ashe playing at Wimbledon.

Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by UES Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:46 pm

Same here.  I loved Ashe too. He's my second favorite player after Roger.

I loved tennis long before Roger and will continue to do so.  I think when he does finally retire, the one thing he would want is for his fans to continue to follow the sport that he so dearly loves.

UES

Back to top Go down

Post by Thandi Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:52 pm

My niece messaged me this news the other day.  Must say my heart skipped a beat when I clocked simultaneously (a) that it was about Roger, and (b) the sad emoticons that were in the message.  Then my heart sank.  Surgery again, that is rough.  Sad  I feel his pain (literally!).  I can only wish Roger a speedy and successful recovery, as good a recovery as he did from the previous operation.  

In the meantime, I find myself watching less tennis since both Sky Sports and Eurosport stopped broadcasting it on TV - it's all gone online to Amazon Prime (apart from three of the four Slams).  I don't have a smart TV and if I want to watch tennis, I have to watch on my laptop.  It's NOT the same... Anyway, I digress.  No doubt I will find tennis less interesting with Roger absent for a few months; however, I will watch some tennis where possible, and cheer for those players whose games I enjoy watching. 

Reviens vite et plus fort, cher Roger!  Heart of Gold

Thandi

Back to top Go down

Post by Thandi Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:53 pm

Márcia wrote:Me also, I love tennis, and there are some players I am happy to follow. No one is Roger, no one will come close to him. But this is not a reason for me to stop watching a sport I love, since the first time I saw Ashe playing at Wimbledon.
That Ashe vs. Connors Wimbledon final was what properly got me into tennis in the first place.

Thandi

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:24 pm

^^^Most of the matches, but specially that final, gave me a sport to love. Since then, except some difficult periods, or my first years in Vietnam (very poor country at that time, difficult to have access to foreign channels), I try to follow tennis as much as I can.
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheadlebeagle Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:17 pm

I love watching tennis and I do play socially and have done so for 40 years. So it will be hard when Roger retires but I'm sure I'll find someone else to follow but perhaps not as obsessively Very Happy . I loved Borg, then Edberg and then Rafter and then Roger, who is my all-time favourite. Due to family health issues I have cancelled my trip to Indian Wells but would have gone even knowing Roger was not there.

Cheadlebeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:24 pm

Remember?... Already a year! Smile

Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:37 pm

Hello, All! I had no idea what had been going on. I see Roger is having another procdure--arthroscopic surgery is not ideal but also not as bad as a hip replacement, or knee replacement. Sorry to hear it, and I wish Roger a very good recover.
 I don't know how come I am here. I went offline, compelled by the computer not working. This had happened before, but this time no matter how many days I tinkered I couldn't repair things. Also, it appeared to be some kind of an official thing. So until today I left things alone, wondering what was going on. I saw some tennis inn Quatar, and a little womans' play also on TV, but no sign of Roger. CNN and sports networks provided no information.
 Today, Thursday March 5/2020, I thought I would just take the laptop and give it a look and wipe the dust off. I decided to turn it on, but didn't expect anything to happen --but here I am. If this post goes through, then it appears to be working. The main problem was getting on the internet,  and now I am wondering if there was some interference from elsewhere.
 It was frustrating not knowing what was going on. I was considering buying another laptop, which I still should do probably,  and then things were back!
 I had problems with this computer before, but not like this. Also there are no phone books published anymore, and I needed to find a computer sales/service center and it was on the internet that I could have found it, but not accessible! That is the problem: we rely on the easy with which certain things can be located  but when the means is not there it is useless.
 The Olympics, apparently, will still be held in Japan. I hope it is. This pandemic is not surprising: only surprising thing is that it has not happened  before. We are lucky, probably, as it could have been a worse pathogen.
 The lack of match play will matter...But Roger will play on grass, I am sure.
 There is also the concern about this pandemic....
 I was at a loss: sine enjoyment and real interest had been missing. I hope Roger can play on and on, and set up a new record if he is well. He can do it, of all the people, he is the one who can.
 I will continue to see how well I can use the laptop. Smile

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:03 pm

Federer shows the greatest courage ever on the court. You can see it when he is down and needs to gain momentum. He makes very particular efforts that put him in another class. He is so brave in how and what he does. He steps out into battle in the face of "danger'.
 Another thing worth pointing out. Everyone hits big, but then there are those who hit with "sledgehammer' strength as John C said this past year. And he is correct, and to many people that shows "fight" and skill.
 However, the way Roger plays, taking the ball very early and quite frequently, requires such strength and control and precision, that in my opinion it takes more energy than just hitting the heck out of the tennis ball.
 To those who like to cite this or that player as the most 'fit" or biggest competitior, I say look at Roger's game with this understanding in mind, that to take balls early, and at times with a volley or half volley requires a great amount of power and with control, at that!

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:45 am

Nice to see you back,  HOTM!  Sunny  I was getting concerned as I hadn't seen you on the Forum for a while. Oh My!   Glad you are OK. But do get your computer issue fixed because, nowadays, it's tough to survive in this world without some mean of electronic communication.  Wink Gif
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:33 pm

Yes, it was missed when I didn't have access. There are no phone books around either to get some retail places. Thank you for your concern: I likeways have felt it when I didn't see some member for a longer time.
 This laptop is holding on by some miracle. You are right that I should get
something...and I hope I will be able to do something about it this month.
 And the concern about not knowing how and what Roger was doing was bothering me.
 The leaping Roger picture is so wonderful! I  think of Roger, in part, as the SmashKing because of his overhead smashes which are usually the outcome of volleys and the high leap. Others can do it also, but none as well, as spectacularly as Roger. Very Happy

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cromar Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:48 pm

Some rare news from coach Ivan and it's all positive!...   Smile

Ljubičić has been in Switzerland since Roger's operation in February and is closely following his recovery. Since rehab is going "great" so far, he hopes to be back on the court with him soon.  

How nice of Ivan to be so committed to Roger!  Thumbs up

“Roger Federer Is My First, Second and Third Priority” – Ivan Ljubičić

RF Tennis News 2020 - Page 4 Ivan-Roger

By Samir Satam | Essentially Sports
March 6, 2020

Roger Federer is currently sitting on the sidelines, recovering from his knee surgery. Consequently, his coach and former top-10 player, Ivan Ljubičić, had some time off as well. To the delight of the fans, he used some of it to give an interview to TagesAnzeiger (Swiss newspaper), talking about many things Roger.

Ivan Ljubičić retired in 2012, after a very good career that included a Davis Cup win in 2005 with Croatia and an ATP Masters 1000 title at Indian Wells in 2010. Moreover, he also reached a career-high ranking of World No. 3 back in 2006.

“Privilege to work with Roger Federer”- Ivan Ljubičić

Since his retirement, Ivan has coached a few players. He simply could not stay away from tennis; it remains his greatest passion. Naturally, Roger Federer and Ivan hit it off very well once they started working together.

“Tennis runs through my veins, it‘s my first love. I am thankful for all the opportunities I got, thanks to tennis, but none of them was bigger than the privilege to work with Roger Federer.”

If you look closer, there are a lot of similarities between the two men. Both played attacking and aggressive tennis, and both are of similar age; Ivan is just over two years older than Federer!

Before anything else, though, I’ll give you the good news that Ivan delivered. He has stayed back in Switzerland, keeping an eye on Roger and his recuperation.

“Roger's rehab is going great and I hope to be back on the court with him soon.“

The duo started working together in 2016. Ironically, when Ivan came on board, Federer was recuperating from his then knee surgery. Once he was back on the court, Ivan’s influence was apparent. Roger’s service was somehow bettered, he started using more variance on his shots, particularly the backhand, and he started to end the points quite quickly.

All of this re-surged the Swiss superstar, and the titles followed. In 2017, Roger went back to winning Grand Slams, and even reclaimed the World No. 1 spot, albeit briefly. They are not even done yet. Just like Roger Federer, Ivan is hungry for a lot more in the coming years.

“Roger is my first, second and third priority, I‘m ready at his disposal 52 weeks a year and this will remain like that as long he intends to play.”

That is true commitment, given Ljubičić is the owner of two sports agencies as well. But Roger, and his pursuit of titles, remains his biggest priority.

Roger will be back soon enough, and we will spot Ivan in the player’s box once again. Let’s hope The Swiss maestro can come out firing on all cylinders again, just like in 2017.
Cromar
Cromar

Back to top Go down

Post by Márcia Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:07 pm

Wonderful, dear, Ivan!
Márcia
Márcia

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:55 am

Dear Marcia, thank you for this article.  I am happy to hear from Ivan and his enthusiasm. Luthi is the backbone, and Ljubicic added to Roger's backhand especially. I remember seeing Ivan play, and also when he played against Roger. A good team around RF, and that is important. Smile

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by HeartoftheMatter Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:57 am

Oh, Cromar, you were the one bringing the news and I left you out. It makes me feel happy. The coaches and team are important. And I like Maria's enthusiasm.

HeartoftheMatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Steerpike60 Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:11 pm

I've seen some social media posts and a few articles saying that Roger has gotten his RF logo back, but I've seen nothing from Roger or anything that seems official.  The originating tweets just seemed like fan comments that some media have picked up.
Steerpike60
Steerpike60

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum